Partnership with industry is critical for university research to connect to real world challenges and solutions. Similarly, university partnerships provide industry with access to cutting edge research, state of the art research facilities and innovative researchers and students. Cornell University is a leader in many areas of academic research and aims to significantly expand its collaboration with industry partners. Cornell offers the GateWay to Partnership as a new initiative for industry sponsors to encourage collaboration, streamline negotiations for sponsored research agreements and subsequent licenses, and promote technology development and commercialization.
Contact us today at email@example.com or (607) 255-5014 to discuss your project needs and how we can help shape the future of your investment in university-based research and development.
To meet the needs of industry sponsors, the Gateway to Partnership program, launched in September 2018, offers three options to enable companies to manage their investments with the certainty of access to project intellectual property.
Level 1: Standard Terms
Company’s rights in project intellectual property include:
- Non-exclusive, royalty free license (“NERF”) for internal research and development purposes.
- Option to elect a field-specific NERF for commercial purposes when patent expenses are reimbursed.
- Option to negotiate an exclusive commercial license, including the right to sublicense, for project intellectual property after it is created.
Level 2: Preset License Terms
For projects greater than $100K, Company’s rights in project intellectual property include:
- The terms in Level 1, plus
- Ability to elect the following preset key license terms:
- a favorable royalty rate specific to the industry sector; and
- capped license issue fees via an exclusive option to negotiate an exclusive license, including the right to sublicense.
Level 3: Pre-negotiated License Terms
For strategic partners and projects greater than $500K, Company’s rights in project intellectual property include:
- NERF for internal research and development purposes
- Option to elect a field-specific NERF for commercial purposes
- Ability to pre-negotiate terms that are more comprehensive than the Level 2 Preset License Terms.