Materials and Data Transfer

Tangible research materials (TRMs) refers to tangible items produced during the course of academic activities. May include:

  • Biological materials such as clones, plasmids, gene fragments
  • DNA probes, hybridomas or other cell lines,
  • Transgenic animals
  • Plant breeding materials

The Center for Technology Licensing is your resource for outgoing MTAs which govern the transfer of TRMs from Cornell to outside researchers.

When Ithaca-based investigators want to obtain TRMs for their research from outside Cornell, they should contact the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP). The purpose of the MTA is to delineate the individual rights of the provider and Cornell with respect to the materials and any derivatives during the performance of research.

Record Keeping and Data Management

Cornell University requires that university records, regardless of format, be disposed of or retained for specific periods of time in accordance with legal or other institutional requirements, or for historical value. Learn more about the university research data repositories and procedures, or read the University Records Retention Policy (4.7).

Decommissioning and Vacating a Laboratory

Laboratories must be decommissioned prior to leaving the university to ensure that all hazardous materials have been properly disposed of and equipment and surfaces are free of contamination. Contact EHS as early as possible to begin the process.