Proper financial management of projects goes beyond just fiscal considerations to ethical and compliance topics.
Monitoring Project Finances
- Review transactions and salary charges on your project to be sure they are charged to the right account and that you know what is being spent. You can view project transactions in the PI Dashboard. If you have questions, contact your Research Administrator or Department Admin.
- If your project includes cost sharing, it must be tracked following specific guidelines for accounts, account attributes, and other details.
Charging Costs to your Project
- Know the details of which costs are allowed on project funds. If you have questions, contact your Research Administrator or Department Admin.
- When dealing with federal and other sponsored funds, follow established standards for determining when it is appropriate to propose and, if approved, directly charge costs normally considered Facilities and Administrative (F&A) costs to a sponsored project.
- The Fly America Act requires that travel on funds provided by the federal government must use U.S. Flag carriers.
Salary certification complements, but does not replace, routine monitoring of your accounts. Once a year, Cornell mandates verification of salary charges. You'll be provided with documentation to review and sign.
Faculty Consulting and Other External Contracts
- The Contract Addendum, unaltered, must be included in all consulting and other external contracts.