Employee benefit rates (fringe rates) for use in sponsored project proposal budgets.
Full Rate: This rate applies to most salary expenditures.
- Fully benefits-eligible employees in academic and non-academic units
- Benefits-eligible temporary employees (those who have worked six months or more as a temporary appointment)
|FY22 - FY24||37.00%|
|Provisional FY25 - Until Amended||37.00%|
Minimum Rate: This rate applies to those employees who receive only mandated benefits such as Social Security, Workers Comp, Disability, Unemployment, etc. It also applies to sabbatical supplements, severance payments, and other limited instances. Please contact Cost Analysis for further information.
- Visiting faculty
- Executive Education faculty appointments
- Tips and bonus payments
- Non-benefit eligible temporary employees
- Summer student wages (only if not registered)
Zero Rate: This rate applies to salary expenses which do not carry benefit expense.
- Student wages (academic year and registered summer)
- Benefit program expenses paid directly from the benefits pool (e.g., disability payments)
|Fiscal Year||Federal Funds||Non-Federal Funds||NY State Funds|
|Estimated FY27 and Beyond||73.00%||74.40%||0.00%|
Health Insurance for Postdoctoral Fellows
A program exists for non-employee postdoctoral fellows (not postdoctoral associates, who are employees) to obtain health insurance through Cornell.
When the postdoctoral fellow opts into the program, the award, principal investigator, or department is responsible for payment of the university’s share of the cost. In many cases, this cost is borne by the award supporting the fellow. For example, NRSA fellowship awards provide an institutional allowance that should be used, in part, for this purpose.
- The cost of this coverage has been established at a percentage (for FY 2023 16.72%) of the NIH Level 0 Postdoc salary in effect at the start of the university’s fiscal year.
- For FY22 that quarterly amount is $2,192, and for FY23 it is $2,292 (or $9,168 annually), and for FY24 it will be $2,418 (or $9,672 annually). This is charged by SFS quarterly to the account provided by the unit. There are no credits for partial months.
- The postdoc fellow is responsible for their share of the award, which will vary depending on what tier of coverage is provided. This is billed directly to the postdoc by PayFlex.
This cost may not be reimbursed as a business expense by the university.