The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) has established guidelines for submission and approval of pre-proposals, white papers, and letters of intent (LOI).
All pre-proposals, white papers, and letters of intent should be submitted through RASS.
OSP will review and submit pre-proposals, white papers, and letters of intent when:
- Institutional endorsement is required by the sponsor.
- A detailed budget is included in the submission. A proposal that includes a rough order of magnitude or an estimated total does not constitute a detailed budget.
- Quantified cost share is included in the submission.
- The PI or department/unit requests OSP review and submission.
- The pre-proposal is in response to an industry solicitation or funding announcement, including SBIRs/STTRs.
All pre-proposal or estimated budgets submitted to industry partners that are not reviewed or submitted by OSP should include the following statement: “This is an estimate provided for planning purposes and does not constitute a binding commitment on behalf of Cornell University. If a firm offer is desired, Cornell University’s Office of Sponsored Programs will provide a formal proposal upon request.”
Please contact your Grant and Contract Officer with any questions or concerns.